Ginger Carrot Soup
Low Fat Recipe
Ginger is a wonderful companion to carrots. Create a Ginger Carrot Soup with a creamy chicken broth. Includes garlic, pepper and allspice seasonings.
3 carrots, scrubbed and thinly sliced
2 cups fat free chicken broth
2 teaspoons minced, peeled ginger root
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup fat free milk
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the carrots, broth, gingerroot, garlic, pepper and allspice; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the carrots are tender, about ten minutes.
Transfer to a blender, add the milk and puree. Return to the saucepan and cook, stirring, until heated through, two to three minutes. Do not let the soup boil.
- Ginger, when crystallized or brewed as a tea serves as a remedy for quesy stomachs and motion sickness.
- Ginger may ward off the temporary unpleasant effects of alcohol i.e., healthy hangover relief!
- Ginger may invigorate tired muscles and joints when added to bath oils/salts.
- The scent of ginger is an instant mood booster.
- Ginger dates back to the Middle Ages, when women presented the treat as a favor to knights going into battle. The gingerbread was elaborately and ornately decorated, sometimes even with gold leaf!
Recipe makes 4 servings.