Nutritional Top Ten
Timeless Nutrition Tips...
Following is a list of the nutritional top ten foods plus an explanation as to just HOW they are beneficial to our overall health!
The b-glucan in whole oats reduces the risk of coronary heart disease. The soluble fiber is instrumental in lowering cholesterol and stabilizing blood sugars.
The bioactive ingredients in soy protein products suppress the formation of blood vessels that feed cancer cells. Soy helps stabilize hormone levels in women, as well as decrease the risk of heart disease, osteoporosis and ovarian, breast, and prostate cancers.
Lycopene, a potent antioxidant is a carotenoid that fights the uncontrolled growth of cells into tumors. It fights cancer of the colon, bladder, pancreas, and prostate.
Men who eat 10 servings of tomatoes per week have been shown to decrease their prostate cancer risk by 66 percent.
04. Coldwater Seafood
Healthy EPA/omega-3 oils are shown to decrease risk of coronary artery disease, stabilize blood sugars, increase brain power, and reduce the inflammatory response.
Seafood reduces LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, while raising levels of HDL cholesterol.
A unique source of lignans, powerful antioxidants that are believed to stop cells from turning cancerous.
Flaxseed also contains alpha-linolenic acid, the plant version of the omega-3s found in fish oils; it makes a great, healthy option for people who won't eat fish.
Rich in allicin, which boosts immune function and reduces cancer risk.
Garlic also has strong anti-viral effects and has been shown to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
07. Chili Peppers
A source of capsaicin, a vital immunebooster with powerful anti-viral effects. Capsaicin is linked to decreased risk of stomach cancer due to its ability to neutralize nitrosamines, a cancer-causing compound formed in the body when cured or charred meats are consumed. Capsaicin also kills bacteria believed to cause stomach ulcers.
08. Sweet Potatoes
A rival of carrots as a potent source of beta-carotene and other carotenoids, which help prevent cataracts and protect the body from free radicals and cancer -- particularly cancer of the larynx, esophagus, and lungs.
Grape skins contain a high concentration of resveratrol, which appears to block the formation of coronary artery plaque, as well as tumor formation and growth. Red grape juice or red wine is considered a better source of resveratrol than white, which is made without the grape skins.
10. Cruciferous Vegetables
Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts contain indoles, sulforaphane, and isothiocyanates, which protect cells from damage by carcinogens, block tumor formation, and help the liver to inactivate hormone-like compounds that may promote cancer.
Ten Ways to Good Nutrition
01. The major dietary problem in the US and countries of the Western world is over-consumption of certain dietary components. Excessive intake of sugars and fats have resulted in excessive caloric intake together with a diet of low nutrient density.
02. The evidence that diets low in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol can reduce the incidence of chronic diseases is now overwhelming.
03. Learn to recognize the difference between hunger and appetite. Hunger Is the stimulus within our bodies that indicates to us that we need to consume food. Appetite consists of the pleasurable sensations provided by food and is associated with the enjoyment of food.
04. Food is often used in one way or another to express feelings of happiness, love, security, or to cover up emotions of worry, grief, loneliness and so on. Before you have a snack, ask yourself why you need this snack, or why you may be reaching for something you know you should not eat.
05. There is a saying "A healthy body produces a healthy mind". This is true, because the brain benefits when food intake is adequate.
06. Support of family and significant other's is necessary for success.
07. Whatever you eat turns into YOU. Only you have complete control of what goes into your mouth.
08. Sugar. Be careful. It is very easy to eat excess amounts of sugary food raising your caloric intake too high. One 12 ounce can of a soft drink with sugar beyond your caloric requirement could cause a potential weight gain of almost 15 pounds in a year.
09. An important part of staying fit is controlling your body weight.
10. Food is anything that nourishes the body. No two foods are alike in the ability to nourish, for no two foods contain identical amounts of nutrients. Therefore, variety in your diet is important.
Top Ten Most Common Foods in America's Kitchens
- Granulated sugar.
- Peanut Butter.
- Ground black pepper.
- Baking soda.
- Yellow mustard.
- Vanilla extract.
- Baking powder.
Nutritional Top Ten Worst Foods For Kids
Parents magazine compiled the top ten worst foods for kids. They are as follows.
- Chicken Nuggets (bursting with fat).
- Chips (mostly fat, sodium and empty calories).
- Doughnuts (packed with saturated fat and trans-fatty acids).
- French Fries (high in fat, few vitamins).
- Fruit leather (no resemblance to fresh fruit).
- Hot dogs (high in fat and sodium, also a choking hazard for kids 3 and under).
- Juice-flavored drinks (most no more than 10-percent juice; even those with apple, pear or grape concentrate have negligible nutrients).
- Prepackaged lunches (high in saturated fat and sodium, packed with sugary treats, nutritionally unbalanced).
- Soda (regular flavors high in sugar, too often replaces milk).
- Toaster Pastries (a lot of fat, not much fruit).
In a list of 100 foods, the first meat item was hamburger coming in at number 22.
Convenience foods most commonly found are prepared pasta, bagged salads, skillet dinner mixes and prepared pizza.