What the Shoulder Flexion exercise does.
Strengthens shoulder muscles.
How the Shoulder Flexion exercise helps you.
In shoulder flexion, the shoulder joint angle decreases, specifically when you move your arm forward. This forward movement is called flexion of the shoulder. Any forward arm movement where the arm is moving forward and upward is going to involve shoulder flexion. Performing this exercise is good for range of motion in the shoulder area.
1. Sit in armless chair with your back supported by back of chair.
2. Keep feet flat on floor even with your shoulders.
3. Hold hand weights straight down at your sides, with palms facing inward.
4. Raise both arms in front of you (keep them straight and rotate so palms face upward) to shoulder height.
5. Hold position for 1 second.
6. Slowly lower arms to sides. Pause.
7. Repeat 8 to 15 times.
8. Rest; then do another set of 8 to 15 repetitions.
Extra Exercise Tip: Essential Exercises
There are four main types of exercise and seniors need some of each:
- Endurance activities - like walking, swimming, or riding a bike - which build "staying power" and improve the health of the heart and circulatory system.
- Strengthening exercises which build muscle tissue and reduce age-related muscle loss.
- Stretching exercises to keep the body limber and flexible.
- Balance exercises to reduce the chances of a fall.
Back to Exercise!