What the Knee Extension exercise does.
The Knee Extension strengthens the muscles in front of the thigh and shin. Use ankle weights to increase resistence, when you are ready.
1. Sit in chair. Only the balls of your feet and your toes should rest on the floor. Put rolled towel under knees, if needed, to lift your feet. Rest your hands on your thighs or on the sides of the chair.
2. Slowly extend one leg in front of you as straight as possible.
3. Flex foot to point toes toward head.
4. Hold position for 1 to 2 seconds.
5. Slowly lower leg back down. Pause.
6. Repeat with other leg.
7. Alternate legs until you have done 8 to 15 repetitions with each leg.
8. Rest; then do another set of 8 to 15 alternating repetitions.
Extra Exercise Tip
People overall are experiencing knee pain, most commonly caused by arthritis, in people as young as their 30's when at one time, this was associated mainly in the elderly. Weight bearing movement, which means repeated pounding on the knee with forces up to four to five times your body weight, is the most common reason for knee stress and pain. Over the years, this takes its toll in wear and tear on the knees. Exercise is vital - and in today's society necessary - to those who wish to avoid health problems such as diabetes, heart conditions and low blood pressure to name just a few. Therefore, it is imperative to learn how to avoid injury to your knees while still getting necessary exercise in your life.
Back to Exercise!