Merry Berry Cheese Bars Recipe
Get into the spirit of Christmas with this Merry Berry Cheese Bars Recipe. Cranberries make them festive and tasty yet low in fat with nutrients to boot.
Merry Berry Cheese Bars Recipe Ingredients:
2 cups unsifted flour
1-1/2 cups oats
3/4 cup plus 1-tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 8-ounce package light cream cheese, softened
1 14-ounce can of fat free sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup lemon juice from concentrate
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 16-ounce can of whole berry cranberry sauce
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees. In a large mixer bowl, combine flour, oats, 3/4 cup sugar and margarine; mix until crumbly.
- Reserving 1-1/2 cup crumb mixture, press remainder firmly on bottom of greased 13-by-9-inch baking pan. Bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixer bowl, beat cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in condensed milk until smooth; stir in lemon concentrate.
- Spread evenly over prepared crust.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1-tablespoon sugar and cornstarch; stir in cranberry sauce. Spoon evenly over cheese layer. Top with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 40 minutes or until golden. Cool. Chill. Store covered in refrigerator.
Did you know?
Cranberries are a great source of vitamin C. They are low in calories (25 calories per one-half cup), high in fiber and contain no fat. Cranberries are low in sodium, high in potassium, and can be used in many forms of cooking! They can be used in everything from relishes to desserts. Enjoy them liberally!
Cranberries also contain powerful antibiotic and antiviral substances to help the body cleanse harmful bacteria and viruses from the urinary tract.