Berry Crumble Pie Recipe
This berry crumble pie recipe comes from a very popular restaurant and is in demand all year long by its customers. A long standing favorite!
One satiated customer said, â€œThis was by far the best dessert I have ever eaten and my obsession to eat every crumb could easily have been mistaken for an eating disorder!â€
This pie features raspberries; however, you could use any favorite pie berry such as blueberries, strawberries, etc. We’ve been given permission to share it with one and all – hope you enjoy!
The Satiating Berry Crumble Pie Recipe
1 -1/3 cups (2-2/3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3-cup sugar plus 1-1/2 to 3 cups of sugar, depending on sweetness of berries (divided)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3-1/2 cups flour
Almond Streusel (see recipe below)
6 cups (3 pints) raspberries â€“ pick over but do not rinse (see note)
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
12 small disposable pie tins (see note)
- Cream butter and 2/3 cup sugar until well mixed. Add egg and vanilla, scraping with a rubber scraper and mix well.
- In a mixing bowl, combine salt, baking powder and flour. Add to butter mixture all at once and mix just until combined. Scrape dough onto plastic wrap and form in a flat disk. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour.
- After dough has chilled, lightly dust a work surface with flour. Divide dough into 12 equal parts and roll out the dough to fit pie tins. You may roll dough scraps over again but be careful not to incorporate too much flour or dough will become crumbly. You may have to chill the scraps again before you roll them. Once you have rolled out the pie shells, fit them into pie tins making sure the dough reaches the outer rim of the tins. Return tins to refrigerator.
- Prepare almond streusel and set aside.
- To make filling, preheat oven to 375-degrees. Combine unwashed berries with remaining 2-1/2 to 3 cups sugar (depending on sweetness of berries), cornstarch and vanilla. Immediately spoon about 1-1/2 cups of the berry mixture into each tart shell. It is okay to heap the filling in the shells. The berries will cook down. (See notes).
- Divide almond streusel evenly among pies. Set on cookie sheets and bake in preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes or until streusel is golden and you see juice from the berries bubbling up in the center of the pies. Remove from oven and cool. Recipe makes 12 pies, one serving each.
Almond Streusal Recipe
1-1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of flour
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter cut in very small pieces
1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds
Combine sugar and flour. Cut in butter using two knives, your fingers or a food processor. Toss almonds with butter/flour mixture. Refrigerate until ready to use. Divide streusel evenly between pies.
- Pastry recipe makes enough for 12 individual, 7-ounce pies. You may use disposable pie tins. They should measure at least three inches across the bottom, five inches across the top and be at least 1-3/8-inches high. You my find them at kitchen supply stores and some large grocery stores.
- Not washing the berries again will prevent excess liquid in the filling.
- After adding sugar and cornstarch to berries, very quickly add mixture to crusts, top with streusel and bake. If berry mixture sits too long, you will have too much liquid.