Vegan Pesto Recipe
Originally, pesto was tons of herbs flavored with a bit of cheese, unlike today’s basil-flavored cheese stuff.Â So here is an easy to make vegan pesto recipe. Instead of the Parmesan cheese you may use brewer’s yeast, or soy/rice Parmesan, or a mixture of both.
Vegan Pesto Recipe Ingredients
1 bunch fresh basil (a nice full handful)
3/4 cup pine nuts
5 whole cloves garlic
1/2 tsp salt
Several fresh grinds of black pepper, or 1/2 tsp already ground
2 ounces tofu
1/4 cup yeast or soy parm
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all ingredients except oil in the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until semi-smooth.
- With processor running, add oil in a continuous stream.
- Toss with pasta, serve on toasted bread with tomatoes, etc.
- All of these amounts are approximate. Adjust them to your own taste.
- This sauce freezes well.
- Walnuts or almonds can be used in place of the pine nuts.
- If you like a lot of garlic, add as much as you want, but the more garlic you add the longer you should let it sit before eating.
- Pesto keeps very well and is delicious the next day.
- Never heat pesto sauce – the basil will turn black and taste bitter.
Recommended Vegan Cookbook
Chloe’s Vegan Italian Kitchen: 150 Pizzas, Pastas, Pestos, Risottos, & Lots of Creamy Italian Classics – “If you think a healthy vegan diet means giving up pasta in creamy sauce, cheesy pizza, and luscious tiramisu, think again!” This cookbook comes highly recommended by vegans and non-vegans!