High Protein Bean Cake
A delicious high protein cake made with the use of healthful chickpeas! Plenty of delicious flavor comes from pumpkin and maple syrup. No one has to know there are healthful beans hidden in the batter!
You can sprinkle cinnamon on top of the frosting for an extra dash of sweet spice. If you want to get fancy, mandarin oranges and walnut halves make a beautiful garnish.
Chickpeas are a good source of folate and protein. Folate is a water soluble B vitamin that occurs naturally in food. Chickpeas are also very high in dietary fiber. They are a source of carbohydrates for people with insulin sensitivity or diabetes. They are low in fat, and most of the fat content is polyunsaturated.
High Protein Bean Cake Recipe
High Protein Bean Cake Ingredients:
1 19-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed
4 eggs or 1-cup egg substitute
1 15-ounce can pumpkin
1 cup Stevia sugar substitute or 1 cup regular sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 /2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
6 ounces whipped cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
1 11-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained (optional)
1/ 4 cup walnut halves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a blender or food processor, combine chickpeas and eggs until smooth. Add pumpkin, sugar or sugar substitute, syrup, baking powder and spice; process again until smooth.
- Spray a 9-inch round or square cake pan with oil. Fill with batter.
- Bake until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 60 minutes. Cool cake on a wire rack.
- Be sure the cake is completely cool before removing it from the pan, because it is very soft.
- Combine cream cheese and powdered sugar. Spread over top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle frosting with cinnamon, if desired. For a more elegant presentation, garnish with the mandarin oranges and walnut halves just before serving.
This recipe makes eight servings of High Protein Bean Cake.
Note: You can use 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans in place of the canned if you like.
Nutrition information per slice of High Protein Bean Cake:
Fat: 13g (6g saturated)
Cholesterol (with real eggs): 127g