Italian Bean Patties Recipe: Meatless Monday
This Italian Bean Patties Recipe is our contribution to the #MeatlessMonday campaign for this week. Many think only vegetarian’s and/or vegans are interested, but you don’t have to follow a strict vegetarian or vegan diet if it doesn’t suit you. What you can do is try substituting beans for a meatless meal 1 to 2 times a week.
Beans come in an amazing array of colors, shapes, and flavors. They can be traditionally or quickly prepared, depending on your preference. Until you mash, puree, or fry them, you haven’t experienced their versatility.
And that is where these yummy bean patties will come in handy.
Italian Bean Patties Recipe
2 cups cooked beans (of choice)
1 beaten egg
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
1 cup dry bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons cornmeal or all purpose flour
2 tablespoons vegetable-oil
- In a large bowl, mash beans. Add egg and spices and stir to mix evenly.
- Stir in bread crumbs. If mixture seems too wet add more breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon at a time until mixture resembles meatloaf.
- Shape into little sausages or patties. Roll in cornmeal or flour.
- Fry slowly in vegetable oil over medium heat until crusty and golden brown.
- Serve in place of hamburgers and add toppings
- Serve in place of breakfast sausage
Serving Size: Serving Size: 1 bean patty
This Italian Bean Patties Recipe yields 5 bean patties.
Nutrition information per Italian Bean pattie:
- Calories 160
- Total fat 5 grams
- Saturated fat 1 gram
- Trans fat 0 grams
- Cholesterol 25 milligrams
- Sodium 340 milligrams
- Total Carbohydrate 22 grams
- Dietary Fiber 5 grams
- Sugars 1 gram
- Protein 6 grams
You may also enjoy
- Meatless Burgers – Two recipes for meatless burgers! One is for a hearty bean burger the other for healthful, satisfying veggie filled burgers.