Breakfast: A Diet Helper
Breakfast is considered by many to be the most important meal of the day. Sadly, the morning meal is the meal that is most often skipped. This is especially true for people in a rush to get out the door every morning. It is so easy to grab a muffin, piece of toast, or just a cup of coffee.
Some people don’t make time for their morning meal because of a misguided dieting effort. They feel that skipping breakfast is a benefit because it eliminates calories. In reality, they are missing out on a lot more than that.
Eating a healthy meal each morning plays an essential role in keeping you full and satisfied. Breakfast promotes a healthy metabolism, which is important for weight management. To learn more about metabolism, visit Metabolism 101.
Expert Studies Say…
- According to the American Dietetic Association, starting your day by eating a healthy meal can help you lose weight or maintain weight. In fact, you can do so better than people who choose not to eat breakfast each day.
- The National Institutes of Health recommend eating breakfast every day. People who do are less likely to overeat later in the day.
- Regular morning meal consumption is a common characteristic of people who have successfully lost weight. More importantly, they were more likely to keep it off. (American Dietetic Association)
Breakfast Trimming Tips
- Substitute Canadian bacon, turkey bacon or sausage for regular bacon or sausage.
- Top waffles or pancakes with fresh blueberries and a dollop of lemon flavored yogurt. The protein boost of yogurt turns a favorite treat into a complete meal.
- Watching fat and cholesterol? Use egg substitute made from real eggs, such as Egg Beaters.
See also: Enjoying Eggs