Top 10 Ways to Get Dietary Fiber
Here is a list of the easiest and most tasty top 10 ways to get your daily dose of dietary fiber. Pick what sounds best to you and pack in some fiber.
- Start the day off with a bowl of your favorite, delicious high fiber cereal, such as frosted shredded wheat or whole grain raisin bran.
- Put fruits, such as berries, raisins, or bananas, on your cereal to increase your dietary fiber intake by about 1 to 2 grams.
- Combine the great taste of both whole grain and enriched grain breads in your family’s diet. For example, introduce whole grain taste to the family by using one slice of white bread and one slice of 100 percent whole wheat bread when making sandwiches.
- Next time you are making any type of pasta, instead of using traditional pasta, choose whole wheat pasta. Even macaroni and cheese lovers can use whole wheat macaroni.
- Substitute wheat bran for one-third of the all-purpose flour when making pancakes, waffles, muffins, or any other flour-based food.
- When you feel the urge to start snacking, reach for a delicious muffin, pretzels, or baked pita chips instead of a candy bar.
- If rice is what you crave, then steer toward brown rice, which offers increased amounts of dietary fiber, iron, and many B vitamins. Plus, it tastes exquisite.
- Believe it or not, popcorn can be a healthy snack for you and your children. It is a great source of dietary fiber. Just don’t use too much butter or salt on this whole-grain treat.
- A great substitute for desserts is a bowl of fruit (especially raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries). Try whole wheat bread pudding with fruit, or perhaps a treat as tasty as a whole grain muffin strikes your fancy.
- Leave the skins on fruits and vegetables such as pears, apples, peaches, and even potatoes, as opposed to peeling them off. Most of the fiber is in the skin, which will help the digestive tract and may prevent colon cancer.