Breathing Technique for Emotional Detox
Qigong is an ancient breathing technique used for emotional detox. This emotional detox technique is a powerful ancient breathing exercise. It is found in ancient Chinese teachings called qigong (pronounced chee-gung).
Qigong will help improve your energy, increase your concentration, and release stress. Decreasing stress helps your body focus on existing toxins, instead of overburdening it with stress hormones.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Bend your knees slightly.
- Let your arms fall limp at your sides. Lower your shoulders to relax any tension.
- Tuck in your chin and pull your head back, keeping it in alignment with your spine.
- Close your eyes, rest your tongue on the roof of your mouth, and take a deep breath through your nose, expanding your belly as you inhale. When you inhale, do not force the breath – just let it gradually become deeper and deeper.
- With every inhalation, imagine energy from the earth rising up from the soles of your feet and up the front of your body, purifying your body as it moves.
- Exhaling: With every exhalation through your nose, visualize the energy flowing down the back of your body, still purifying your whole body as it traverses. Visualize the stale energy full of toxins returning to the earth to be purified. Breathe in fresh energy from the earth and continue as before for at least 5 minutes.
Perform this simple breathing exercise throughout your day whenever you need energy, or to relax, or just to feel greater peace in your life. It may all sound a bit unusual – or even odd to some – but if you give it a try, you may be very surprised! It’s truly a very helpful breathing exercise for many people under a lot of stress. Today, that’s most of us!
There are many forms of qigong that include diverse postures and movements. This simple exercise is a good point of departure should you wish to delve further into this ancient practice.