White Sauce and Squash Boats
Serve this delicious combination of White Sauce and Squash Boats over wide eggless noodles for a hearty Fettucini Alfredo.
Basic White Sauce:
Saute 2 to 4 tablespoons flour in a dry skillet. (Use 2 if you want a thin white sauce for soup, 4 if you're making thick white sauce such as to use in acorn squash.)
- Stir until it turns a very light brown.
- Don't let the flour darken.
This gets rid of the raw flour taste and imparts a delicate toasted flavor to the white sauce.
1 tablespoon vegan margarine
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes
2 teaspoons Spike seasoning that contains salt
Stir until margarine melts and everything is blended. Slowly add, while stirring:
2 cups hot plain soymilk (nuke in microwave first)
Making a basic white sauce entails stirring in the soy milk a little at a time until it thoroughly blends with the flour mixture, then adding a little more. If you add the soymilk in too fast, the sauce will come out lumpy. Heat until thick and hot.
Squash Boats with Flavored White Sauce
Cut an acorn squash in half. Nuke 5 minutes in a microwave. Turn squash over. Nuke 5 minutes more or until squash is soft all over. Scoop out seeds and pulp from center of "boats."
While squash is cooking, make white sauce. When you add the margarine, etc., also add 2 Tbsp. imitation bacon flavored bits (optional).
Ladle white sauce into squash boats and serve.
Other uses for white sauce:
- Serve over pasta, rice, or potatoes.
- Puree with 2 roasted red peppers (buy them in a jar or do it yourself). Use thin white sauce for soup, thick white sauce for sauce.
- Make sauce with only 2 tablespoons flour. Saute vegetables of your choice and add to sauce for "Cream of Vegetable Soup."
- Add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or saute minced garlic with margarine), a pinch of nutmeg, and 1 tablespoon Soymage soy parmeson cheese (vegan) and serve over wide eggless noodles for "Fettucini Alfredo."