Triceps Dip Exercise
Exercise for Seniors
What this exercise does.
The alternative tricep dip helps strengthen and tone the back of the upper arm.
1. Sit in chair with armrests.
2. Lean slightly forward, keep your back and shoulders straight.
3. Grasp arms of chair. Your hands should be level with trunk of body or slightly farther forward.
4. Tuck feet slightly under chair, heels off the ground, weight on toes and balls of feet.
5. Slowly push body off of chair using arms, not legs.
6. Slowly lower back down to starting position. Pause.
7. Repeat 8 to 15 times.
8. Rest; then do another set of 8 to 15 repetitions.
Extra Exercise Tip
This pushing motion of this alternative dip exercise will strengthen your arm muscles even if you aren't yet able to lift yourself up off of the chair. Don't use your legs or feet for assistance, or use them as little as possible. Eventually you want all of your weight lifted using the tricep muscles while the legs get a rest!
You may also find of interest...
- Triceps Extension - Strengthens muscles in back of upper arm.
- Strength and Balance Exercises
- Tricep Stretch - Stretches muscles in the back of the upper arm.
Disclaimer: The material on this Web site is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or fitness professional. Please consult with your physician before beginning any fitness program or fat or weight reduction program. FitnessandFreebies.com takes no responsibility for individual results, or any claim made by a third party.