Shoulder Flexion Exercise
Exercise for Seniors
What this exercise does.
Strengthens shoulder muscles.
1. Sit in armless chair with your back supported by back of chair.
2. Keep feet flat on floor even with your shoulders.
3. Hold hand weights straight down at your sides, with palms facing inward.
4. Raise both arms in front of you (keep them straight and rotate so palms face upward) to shoulder height.
5. Hold position for 1 second.
6. Slowly lower arms to sides. Pause.
7. Repeat 8 to 15 times.
8. Rest; then do another set of 8 to 15 repetitions.
Extra Exercise Tip: Essential Exercises
There are four main types of exercise and seniors need some of each:
- Endurance activities - like walking, swimming, or riding a bike - which build "staying power" and improve the health of the heart and circulatory system.
- Strengthening exercises which build muscle tissue and reduce age-related muscle loss.
- Stretching exercises to keep the body limber and flexible.
- Balance exercises to reduce the chances of a fall.
You may also find of interest...
- Shoulder Rotation Stretch - Stretches shoulder muscles.
- Neck Rotation Stretch - Stretches neck muscles.
Disclaimer: The material on this Web site is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or fitness professional. Please consult with your physician before beginning any fitness program or fat or weight reduction program. FitnessandFreebies.com takes no responsibility for individual results, or any claim made by a third party.