Quadricep Floor Stretch Exercise
Exercise for Seniors
What this exercise does.
Stretches muscles in front of thighs.
How this exercise helps you.
Strong quadriceps can help ease the pain of knee osteoarthritis. Strong quads will also take the strain off your knees when walking. A major benefits of strong legs and glute muscles is the ability to engage in longer cardiovascular workouts.
1. Lie on side on the floor. Your hips should be lined up so that one is directly above the other one.
2. Rest head on pillow or hand.
3. Bend knee that is on top.
4. Reach back and grab heel of that leg. If you can't reach your heel with your hand, loop a belt over your foot and hold belt ends.
5. Gently pull that leg until front of thigh stretches.
6. Hold position for 10 to 30 seconds.
7. Reverse position and repeat.
8. Repeat 3 to 5 times on each side. If the back of your thigh cramps during this exercise, stretch your leg and try again, more slowly.
Alternative Quad Stretch
Standing quadriceps stretch. Place your left hand on a chair or wall for support, bend your right knee, and reach back with your right hand to grab the top of your right foot. Hold for 10 to 20 seconds. Repeat on the left side. Rest. Repeat.
Stretching comes naturally to all of us. You might notice that if you have been sitting in a particular position for a long time, you stretch unconsciously. It feels good! In addition to that good feeling, a consistent stretching program will produce large gains in flexibility and joint movement. Be kind to your muscles and they will be kind to you!
You may also find of interest...
- Knee Extension - Strengthens muscles in front of thigh and shin.
- Double Hip Rotation Stretch - Stretches muscles in front of thighs.
Disclaimer: The material on this Web site is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or fitness professional. Please consult with your physician before beginning any fitness program or fat or weight reduction program. FitnessandFreebies.com takes no responsibility for individual results, or any claim made by a third party.