Hip Extension Exercise
Exercise for Seniors
What this exercise does.
Strengthens buttock and lower-back muscles. Use ankle weights, if - or when - you are ready.
How this exercise helps you.
In America, back pain is the second most common reason for visits to physicians. The back is a horrible place on our bodies to experience pain and most people will, at some time in their lives, experience some level of it. Stretching the buttocks and lower back is a great way to keep this area flexible, which in turn helps ease painful discomfort.
1. Stand 12 to 18 inches from a table or chair, feet slightly apart.
2. Bend forward at hips at about 45-degree angle; hold onto a table or chair for balance.
3. Slowly lift one leg straight backwards without bending your knee, pointing your toes, or bending your upper body any farther forward.
4. Hold position for 1 second.
5. Slowly lower leg. Pause.
6. Repeat with other leg.
7. Alternate legs until you have done 8 to 15 repetitions with each leg.
8. Rest; then do another set of 8 to 15 alternating repetitions.
Hip Extension With Balance
Do hip extension as part of your regularly scheduled strength exercises, and add these modifications as you progress: Hold table with one hand, then one fingertip, then no hands; then do exercise with eyes closed, if steady.
2. Bend forward from the hips (not waist), keeping back and shoulders straight at all times.
3. When upper body is parallel to floor, hold position for 10 to 30 seconds. You should feel a stretch in the backs of your thighs.
4. Repeat 3 to 5 times.
You may also find of interest...
- Hip Flexion - Strengthens thigh and hip muscles.
- Single Hip Rotation Stretch - Stretches muscles of pelvis and inner thigh.
Disclaimer: The material on this Web site is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or fitness professional. Please consult with your physician before beginning any fitness program or fat or weight reduction program. FitnessandFreebies.com takes no responsibility for individual results, or any claim made by a third party.