Isotonic exercise can be carried out either with:
- Free weights i.e. dumbbells
- Barbells; or fixed equipment- e.g., the Nautilus
As each muscle moves through its complete range, isotonic contraction creates tension with maximum effort at the beginning and end of each exercise.
Advantages of isotonic training:
- Relatively inexpensive
- Broad range of exercises
- Ability to exercise all major muscle groups
Disadvantages of isotonic training:
- Uneven force throughout each exercise.
- Exercises may not fully strengthen each muscle group.
You may also find of interest...
Disclaimer: The material on this Web site is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or fitness professional. Please consult with your physician before beginning any fitness program or fat or weight reduction program. FitnessandFreebies.com takes no responsibility for individual results, or any claim made by a third party.