Black Pepper Cornbread
Whole Grain Recipe
Black Pepper Cornbread with yellow cornmeal, all purpose flour, a bit of sugar and a whopping one quarter cup of fresh ground black pepper make this bread live up to its name.
1 pint yellow cornmeal
1 pint all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup fresh ground pure ground black pepper
1 pint milk
4 medium eggs; well beaten
1/4 cup melted butter
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter 8 inch square pan with 2 inch high sides.
Mix together first 6 ingredients in large bowl.
Mix milk with egg and melted butter in a small bowl.
Pour milk mixture over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened: do not over mix.
Spoon batter into prepared pan.
Bake cornbread until light brown and tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool cornbread in pan.
Break and crumble corn bread, spread in baking pan and allow to dry 24 hours before using to make stuffing.
Recipe Yields: 12 Servings Black Pepper Cornbread.
Did you know that black pepper is a common remedy in traditional Chinese medicine? In a 2013 test tube study, researchers pretreated human cartilage cells with black pepper and then zapped the cells with an inflammatory protein. The cells inflammatory activity was inhibited, leading to the conclusion that pepper could be an effective arthritis treatment.
- Black Pepper is the foremost detoxifier and anti-aging herb in Asia.
- A warming digestive remedy, black pepper relieves gas and increases absorption of other nutrients.
- Increasing circulation, regulating blood pressure and easing joint movement, black pepper is also antioxidant, reducing free radicals.
- Black pepper is an excellent source of manganese, a good source of iron and vitamin K, and dietary fiber.
- Black Pepper reduces respiratory mucus, easing sinus congestion.
- As a diuretic, black pepper balances water in the body and regulates eye pressure.
In addition to black pepper cornbread, sprinkle black pepper on dinner, using frshly ground whole peppercorns to ensure you get pepper only. Or, try it as a supplement in 10mg capsules.