Create A Wholegrain Muffin
Whole Grain Recipe
Here we give you a basic whole grain muffin recipe with six different variations to choose from to personalize them to your taste buds.
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup bran cereal
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup molasses or honey
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup oats, uncooked
2/3 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt, if desired
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Combine milk and bran cereal in medium sized bowl. Add egg, oil, molasses and brown sugar; mix well. Add combined remaining ingredients, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
Fill 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full.
Bake in preheated hot oven (400 degrees) about 15 minutes.
- Substitute 3/4 cup unprocessed bran for bran cereal.
- Substitute 1/4 cup light or dark corn syrup for molasses.
- Add 1/2 cup raisins, blueberries, chopped dates, apple or nuts.
- Sprinkle batter in muffin cups with a crunchy or streusel topping.
- Substitute chocolate milk for white milk.
- Add leftover cooked corn for a dinner muffin.
Recipe Yields: 12 servings Create A Wholegrain Muffin. Serving size: 1 muffin