Snazzy Twice Baked Potatoes
Cooking tips for the caring cook.
The Festive Baked Potato
- Twice baked potatoes become more festive when crab meat is added along with the cheese. Add about six ounces of flaked crab meat for every four potatoes you are stuffing.
- Turn your twice baked potatoes topped with spinach, cheese and bacon into a mini casserole for a light lunch. Or add a salad and make a dinner out of it.
- Try salsa in your twice baked potatoes for a zesty flair.
- When hollowing out potatoes, use a melon ball cutter to easily remove the flesh. The sharp edge and curved shape make scooping easy.
- Russets, yellow-flesh and other high-starch potatoes are best for mashing because they don't hold their shape when cooked. Don't use a food processor to mash potatoes -- it makes a gluey-type mess.
Buying Your Baking Potatoes:
Do not buy potatoes that are soft or have excessive cuts, cracks bruises or discoloration. Avoid green potatoes - they have been exposed to light and are actually "sunburned", which turns the flavor bitter. You can peel or pare the green away, but if the potato is more than half-green, throw it out.
Southwestern Baked Potatoes. Scrub, pierce and microwave baking potatoes (8 ounces each) 10 to 12 minutes on high power. Wrap potatoes in paper towels and then in terry towel for five minutes. Meanwhile, heat 2-teaspoons cumin and one clove minced garlic and cook one minute. Add 2-cups mild salsa and one can (15 to 19 ounces) rinsed and drained black beans and cook five minutes or until hot. To serve, split potatoes and divide bean mixture among them. Top with chopped cilantro and plain yogurt. Serve with suggestions: Coleslaw and Multigrain rolls.
To bake potatoes more quickly, soak for about 20 minutes in salt water before baking.
The traditional combination of baked potatoes with another vegetable is a perfect way to serve two vegetables in one meal.
Folklore cure for migraines: Slice raw potatoes on a white piece of cotton, sprinkle it with pepper and apply to the forehead for an hour or more . According to folklore advoates, it works great.
You may also find of interest...
- Better Potato Salads
- Twice-Baked Potatoes with Cheese (Healthy Recipe Archive)
- Prep Ahead Mashed Potatoes (Healthy Recipe Archive)