Quick Freezing Tips
Cooking tips for the caring cook.
These simple do's and don'ts will help you keep your freezer full of dinner options!
- Do label items before adding them to your freezer. Include a description, the serving size and the date.
- Do keep a list of what is in your freezer and the dates things were added. Cross things off as you remove them.
- Do store similar foods together -- staples on one shelf, casseroles and prepared food on another.
- Do freeze foods in individual portions. You can thaw only what you need and your thawing time is shortened.
- Don't choose containers that are too large for the food. Squeeze excess air from freezer bags before sealing.
- Don't fill your freezer with baking dishes. Line dishes with foil before assembling a casserole, wrap and freeze the finished casserole and then lift from dish and store in a resealable freezer-weight plastic bag.
- Don't fill containers of soups, stews and sauces to the very brim. Leave 1-inch of space to allow for expansion during freezing.
Did you know?
Ordinary masking tape makes great freezer tape. You can write on it with anything, it stays on the containers in the freezer and it peels off easily without scrubbing.
If you keep a roll of Saran Wrap in the freezer It is then easier to unroll, doesn't stick to itself until it warms up and is easier to tear.