Tender, Moist Muffins
The secret to perfect, tender muffins is in the lumps. Muffin batter should be gently stirred just until all the dry ingredients are moistened, resulting in a lumpy batter.
Resist the temptation to vigorously stir muffin batter until it is smooth. The lumps will disappear during baking. Overstirring creates tough muffins with pointed tops.
Mixing Muffin Batter
- Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl with a whisk or fork. Be sure to thoroughly distribute all the ingredients completely.
- Combine the liquid (wet) ingredients in another bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients all at once.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened, 15 to 20 light strokes. There should be some small lumps.
- Chopped nuts, fruit and other small "add in" ingredients may be combined with the dry ingredients or folded gently into the batter near the end of mixing.
Remember, overmixing will cause muffins to be tough and that will result in them baking unevenly.
Share this Page