Straining Stocks and Sauces
- When you need to strain stocks or sauces, line a mesh strainer or colander with a paper coffee filter. The liquid goes through and all the solids from the stocks or sauces are left on the paper.
Cleaning up the Straining Cloth:
- Rinse the cloth under the tap, then place it in a pan with water, a little salt and a dash of vinegar.
- Let boil for 15 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Rinse it several times with warm water and hang out to dry.
- If a sauce or gravy has become lumpy you can transfer it to a food processor and process until smooth, or press through a sieve.
Share this Page