Seeding Small Chili's
Cooking tips for the caring cook.
- Wear gloves when you are handling raw chiles. If the oils get into a small cut or abrasion on your hand, it will feel like it is on fire.
- Keep your hands away from your eyes while working with chili peppers.
- Keep vinegar handy, as it will neutralize the oil from the chili if it should come into contact with your hand.
- Habanero has actually been known to cause first degree burns. Be very careful!
Seeing A Small Chili Pepper
- To seed small chiles, first slice off the stem end of the chile. Then use the flat handle end of a 1 /8 teaspoon stainless steel measuring spoon and slide it down the ribs of the chile. Now turn the spoon around (the bowl end) and scoop out the seeds and ribs. This works like a charm for all but the really small chiles.