Cooking tips for the caring cook.
Pancakes not only make a great breakfast, but can be served for just about any meal!
Go easy mixing your batter. The less mixing the better the pancakes will be. Mix the wet and dry ingredients separately, combining them just before cooking. The little lumps are supposed to be there, so don't try to mix them out. Over-mixing pancake batter gives you nothing but tough pancakes. You want them tender! When they're tough they also tend to be too dry.
Now Make the Picture Perfect Pancake:
- Make your favorite pancake batter, then put it in a plastic condiment bottle with a wide tip (find the bottles at hardware or grocery stores). Be sure your batter is thin enough to flow through the tip.
- OR... Use a meat baster to "squeeze" your pancake batter onto the hot griddle to get perfect shaped pancakes every time.
- Heat your griddle or pan and start squeezing pancakes. If you have leftover batter, just seal the bottle and store it in the refrigerator.
- A secret to extra light pancakes... Separate the eggs and mix the yolks into the batter first. After everything else has been added, beat the whites until stiff and fold them in at the very end.
- Pancakes are lighter and fluffier when you substitute club soda for milk in the batter.
- To jazz up pancakes, french toast, or waffles, add a dash or two of cinnamon and/or vanilla to the batter.
Pancakes freeze very well - and for a long time (up to 6 months). If you get that griddle going, make up a large batch, cool and freeze in freezer bags in individual servings for a quick breakfast.
Quick Recipe: Healthy Four Ingredient Pancakes
These are really easy and quick to create using your blender. These pancakes taste like banana bread.
2 egg whites
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Blend all ingredients in a blender. Spray griddle with olive oil. Once the griddle is warm add the pancake batter. Cook about 2 minutes on each side, until done. The second side usually goes faster so keep an eye on them. Makes 4 small pancakes.
Notes: These freeze well. Reheat in a toaster oven, or oven at 350 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes. Microwave 1 to 2 minutes on high, turning once.
Go Healthy with Pancakes The Easy Way
Want to "go healthy" with pancakes without all the mess of cooking them up? Try WonderSlim Fluffy Pancake Mix - Buy It Now at only $12.95! These are delicious and guilt-free whether you're dieting or just trying to maintain your weight. Healthy for the whole family!