Cooking tips for the cook who cares...
Pancakes not only make a great breakfast, but can be served for just about any meal!
Go easy mixing your batter. The less mixing the better the pancakes will be. Mix the wet and dry ingredients separately, combining them just before cooking. The little lumps are supposed to be there, so don't try to mix them out. Over-mixing pancake batter gives you nothing but tough pancakes. You want them tender! When they're tough they also tend to be too dry.
Now Make the Picture Perfect Pancake:
- Make your favorite pancake batter, then put it in a plastic condiment bottle with a wide tip (find the bottles at hardware or grocery stores). Be sure your batter is thin enough to flow through the tip.
- OR... Use a meat baster to "squeeze" your pancake batter onto the hot griddle to get perfect shaped pancakes every time.
- Heat your griddle or pan and start squeezing pancakes. If you have leftover batter, just seal the bottle and store it in the refrigerator.
- A secret to extra light pancakes... Separate the eggs and mix the yolks into the batter first. After everything else has been added, beat the whites until stiff and fold them in at the very end.
- Pancakes are lighter and fluffier when you substitute club soda for milk in the batter.
- To jazz up pancakes, french toast, or waffles, add a dash or two of cinnamon and/or vanilla to the batter.
Pancakes freeze very well - and for a long time (up to 6 months). If you get that griddle going, make up a large batch, cool and freeze in freezer bags in individual servings for a quick breakfast.
Healthy Pancake Recipes
- Whole Grain Almond Buckwheat Pancakes
- Multi-Grain Blueberry Pancake Mix
- Mini Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce
- Low Carb Cinnamon Pancakes with Maple Butter
- Paleo Pancakes
- Sweet Chestnut Pancakes
- Low Salt Beef and Potato Pancakes
- Wheat Free Banana Nut Pancakes
- Vegetarian Oatmeal Waffles or Pancakes
You may also find of interest...
Disclaimer: The material on this Web site is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or fitness professional. Please consult with your physician before beginning any fitness program or fat or weight reduction program. FitnessandFreebies.com takes no responsibility for individual results, or any claim made by a third party.