Healthier Macaroni and Cheese
Cooking tips for the caring cook.
Cooking Right with Pasta
- Nix white pasta and opt for whole wheat macaroni instead. The extra fiber gives it a richer taste and a firmer texture, making it a great choice for casseroles like macaroni and cheese. (Can apply to any casserole recipe.)
- Lighten the dairy fat by melting reduced fat Cheddar with 3 tablespoons light stick butter. You'll maintain the texture of the classic dish without all the fat of the regular dairy.
- Add canned tomatoes to your casserole - they contain higher levels of lycopene, a heart-healthy antioxidant, than raw tomatoes.
- Top off your casserole with a sprinkling of bread crumbs. Just 1/4 cup is enough to give your mac 'n cheese a nice crunch.
Did You Know?
To keep a fruit pie from spilling over, stick a piece of uncooked ziti or penne pasta - or several if the pie has a lattice top - in the center. The juices will bubble up inside the pasta tube instead of dripping all over your oven.
You may also find of interest...
- Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- Makeover Macaroni and Cheese (Healthy Recipe Archive)
- Creamy Diabetic Macaroni and Cheese Recipe