Cooking tips for the caring cook.
- Try replacing a quarter of the mozzarella cheese in your lasagna recipe with shredded sharp cheddar.
- When covering cheese topped lasagna with foil before baking, coat the underside of the foil with non-stick cooking spray. That way the melted cheese won't come off with the foil.
- Freeze individual pieces of leftover lasagna in an airtight container for a quick lunch or dinner later.
- Add fennel seed to your lasagna sauce (2 tablespoons for a 13 x 9-inch pan). The chef that offered this tip says, "You'll never make lasagna without it again!"
Lasagna Time Savers
- To save time, you can make lasagna sauce ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen until you are ready to make the entire dish. You can also assemble the lasagna ahead of time and freeze it until you are ready to bake it. Just transfer the frozen lasagna directly from the freezer to the oven and add 15 minutes to the cooking time.
- Most lasagnas can be prepared a day before. Refrigerate overnight. Let lasagna come to room temperature before baking.
- Use "no-boil" noodles. These noodles are a great time-saver and make delicious lasagna.
- Don't worry about irregular sizes of noodles or crepes while assembling your lasagna. Piece them together and they will set up fine during baking.
July 29 is National Lasagna Day.