Peeling Hard-Cooked Eggs
Cooking tips for the caring cook.
Don't Ruin Your Hard Cooked Eggs!
To peel hard-cooked eggs, crack them by tapping them gently in two or three places and place them in a pan of cold water. If this doesn't work for you, try the following:
- Hold a boiled egg in one hand and a spoon in the other.
- Strike the egg with the edge of the spoon.
- Rotate the egg 90 degrees and repeat.
- Continue until the egg is cracked all the way around.
- Hit the side of the egg above the crack.
- Slightly squeeze the egg in the middle.
- With a slight twisting motion, lift off the shell's top.
- Hit the side of the egg below the crack.
- With the same twisting motion, lift off the shell's bottom.
Poke an egg with a small sewing needle before hard boiling, and the egg will peel with ease. Hold that needle in place with a magnet refrigerator clip!
Finder's Freebie: How to Cook Hard Boiled Eggs
Download our free cheat sheet on how to best boil eggs: How to Cook Hard Boiled Eggs