Cooking tips for the caring cook.
Crepes are versatile and delicious. A few tips can help you enjoy them more often in a variety of different ways.
Tips to Cook, Freeze & Re-Heat Crepes
- To cook crepes ahead, layer the unfilled crepes with wax paper between each crepe. You can wrap them in plastic wrap or slide them into a self-seal bag and refrigerate them for up to three days.
- To freeze crepes for up to two months, stack the unfilled crepes between sheets of wax paper. Wrap the stack in foil and then place the stack in a self-seal freezer bag. When you are ready to use the crepes, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight.
- To reheat thawed crepes in the oven, remove the stack of crepes from the freezer bag, and while they are still wrapped in foil, place the stack on a baking sheet. Bake the crepes in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until they are heated through. To reheat the crepes in the microwave, remove the crepes from the freezer bag and foil. Then place a stack of 4 crepes, separated with wax paper, on a microwave-safe plate. Cover the stack with a damp paper towel and heat on a medium setting for 1-1/2 minutes.
To make dessert crepes, work with a crepes recipe and use one or more of the following substitutions or additions:
- Replace 3/4 cup of the milk with coconut milk.
- Replace the granulated sugar with brown sugar.
- Add 3 tablespoons of chocolate syrup to the batter.
- Add 1 tablespoon of rum or brandy to the batter.