Making Clarified Butter
Cooking tips for the caring cook.
Homemade Clarified Butter (Ghee)
Clarified butter is also commonly known as Ghee. It is virtually lactose free. This is because the milk solids from butter have been drawn off in production.
- Melt butter in the microwave or slowly, over a gently heat.
- Skim off the foam and pour the remaining butter into a bowl and chill.
- Try basil, cumin, curry powder, dill mint, oregano, rosemary, sage or savory.
- When the butter has hardened, discard the milky residue on the bottom.
- Clarified butter can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
Use clarified butter in place of butter for cooking, baking, or sauting and surprise your family and friends with this delightful treat from nature's kitchen.
Recipe: Herb Butter
4 tablespoons unsalted clarified butter
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped green onions
1/2 teaspoon any of the following: finely chopped chives, tarragon, rosemary, parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
Place all of the ingredients in a shallow bowl and combine well.