Creating Beautiful Bread Crusts
Cooking tips for the caring cook.
Creating Your Crust
You can get the desired type of crust on your bread by doing one of the following:
- For a shiny crust, warm 1 tablespoon of sugar with 5 tablespoons of milk just to a simmer, and then brush the liquid on the hot loaves as soon as they come out of the oven.
- For a soft crust, brush melted butter on the hot, baked loaves of bread, and then cover them with a clean towel to retain the heat.
- If you want a thin, light crust, place a pan of hot water on the bottom rack of your oven to create moist heat as your bread bakes.
- For a medium crust, brush milk over the loaves before placing them in the oven, and then brush them again with milk when the bread is about halfway through baking.
- Crunchy crusts are also possible. Whip an egg white with 1 tablespoon of water until it is frothy, and then brush this on top of the loaves before baking.
- Finally, if you like a hard crust on your bread, mix together 1/2 cup of water with 1 teaspoon of salt and brush it on the loaves before placing them in the oven, and then again about halfway through the baking time.
You may also find of interest...