Make Ahead Bacon Bits
Cooking tips for the caring cook.
Using Bacon Bits
- When time allows, cook and crumble a package of bacon and then freeze. Bacon bits are outstanding as a garnish for or as an ingredient in salads, omelets, quiches, soups, pizza topping, dips, snacks, casseroles and spreads.
- Freeze bacon bits for later use by placing the bacon bits in a single layer on a cooking sheet. Once they are frozen, place them in a freezer zip lock bag and freeze.
Making Home Made Bacon Bits
- Partially freeze your package of bacon so that it holds together easier while slicing.
- Use a sharp knife and cut the frozen bacon into long strips about 1/4 inch wide.
- Turn the bacon and cut the strips into pieces also about 1/4 in wide.
- Sprinkle with pepper. Fry over a medium high heat until crisp.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
When a recipe calls for crumbled bacon, dice it before frying for more even cooking.