Refresh Limp Artichokes
Cooking tips for the caring cook.
Bring Limp Artichokes Back to Life
- To refresh limp artichokes, simply re-cut the stems, then stand the artichokes in a bowl or glass of cold water and chill. Change the water daily and they will keep for days. This also works with asparagus spears and broccoli.
- Use a stainless steel blade to cut artichokes. A carbon blade will discolor the flesh of the artichoke. Avoid cooking artichokes in aluminum or iron pans. These pans will make your artichokes an unpleasant gray-green color.
- Avoid serving wine with artichokes. Most experts agree that artichokes ruin the flavor of a wine.
- When cooking artichokes you can obtain a better flavor if you add a small amount of sugar and salt to the water. They will be sweeter and will retain their color better.
Artichokes are nutrient dense, so, for the 25 calories in a medium artichoke, you're getting 16 essential nutrients!
Did You Know?
Virtually 100 percent of all artichokes grown commercially in the United States are grown in California.
You may also find of interest...
- Chilled Artichokes with Champagne Vinaigrette Recipe
- Grilled Vegetables (Food Fitness - Scroll down for Grilled Artichokes Recipe)