Nifty Naval Oranges
Food Fitness to Nourish Your Body
Navel oranges are available from November through May, with peak supplies in January, February and March. Navel oranges are easy to spot in your produce aisle-they're the ones with the button formation opposite the stem end. Considered the world's finest orange for eating, navels are seedless, and they peel and segment easily.
Cara Cara oranges, a type of navel, are also available during the winter months. They are like the familiar Washington navels, but the fruit's interior is dark pink or red. Ask for Cara Caras in specialty produce stores!
- For the best nutritional value and taste, juice only enough navel oranges to drink and enjoy right away!
- Navel orange segments are healthy and fun kid foods for snacks and lunches, that pack and travel well. Peel the orange, then gently separate the fruit along the natural divisions.
- Try this guilt-free treat: swirled cut navel orange segments into low- or nonfat chocolate yogurt.
- Toss some navel orange sections on your favorite cereal, pancakes and waffles.
Naval Orange Nutrition:
One medium naval orange contains 60 calories, zero fat, zero cholesterol, is high in dietary fiber, vitamin C and calcium.
You may also find of interest...
- Specialty Citrus
- Easy Ways to Eat More Fruit
- Orange Pancakes with Tropical Citrus Sauce Recipe (Healthy Recipe Archive)
- Orange on Orange (Blog Post)
Disclaimer: The material on this Web site is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or fitness professional. Please consult with your physician before beginning any fitness program or fat or weight reduction program. FitnessandFreebies.com takes no responsibility for individual results, or any claim made by a third party.