Entertain with Ease
Food Fitness to Nourish Your Body
Tips for stress-free entertaining - let's get right to it!
- Use a large green pepper as a cup for dips. Cut off top, scrape pepper clean of ribs and seeds, then fill with dip.
- Salads and dips can be kept chilled by using two bowls. Place the salad or dip in the smaller bowl, partially fill the larger bowl with water and freeze. Then, place the smaller bowl onto the larger one and serve.
- Cucumbers make excellent holders for dips. When cutting, leave a handle in the middle, like a basket.
- Used halved, or hollowed out melons, oranges or grapefruits as a cup to fill with cut up fruit bits.
- Before your guests arrive, give your home that "something's baking" fragrance. Just sprinkle cinnamon and sugar in a tin pie pan and cook it on high heat slowly on the stove for a few minutes.
- When making finger sandwiches use an electric knife to cut them and the filling will not run all over the counter.
- Having a party? Provide extra plates on the dessert buffet. Keep the plates small so it is easy to juggle a plate and a beverage at the same time. In addition, label desserts containing nuts to alert guests with food allergies.
- To keep ice from melting, place a container of dry ice underneath the ice.
- Champagne is best if not chilled for too long a period in the refrigerator.
- To save leftover wines, freeze them in your ice cube trays. They can be used for any dish that you would season with wine or use in coolers.
- For a flaming pudding, soak sugar cubes in orange or lemon extract. Place them on the pudding and light.
- Flaming Liqueur: Place 2-tablespoons of desired liqueur (at least 80 proof) in a 1-cup measure. Microwave, uncovered, on 100-percent power for 20 seconds, ignite and pour over desired food.
- Cottage cheese can be used in place of sour cream when making dips. Just place it in the blender until it is creamed.
- Cream cheese can be colored with powdered or liquid food coloring as filler for dainty rolled sandwiches. Try a different color for each layer and slice as you would a jelly roll.
- To stop hard holiday candies from sticking together, just sift a little cornstarch on it.
- Freeze red and green maraschino cherries in ice cubes. Also, cocktail onions, mint leaves or green olives for martinis.
- Freeze different colors of grapes to use in punches.
- Freeze lemon peels in ice cubes for use in water glasses.
- Use large ice cubes made from milk cartons for punch. The larger the ice cube the slower it melts.
- For clear ice cubes for your guests, just boil the water first.
- If you ever wondered how much ice you will need for a party, the rule of thumb is one pound per person.
- Use crescent dinner rolls as a quick and easy pastry to prepare a Beef Wellington.
- To make quick and unusual dips or spreads, try pureeing a can of well drained white beans and a package of herb flavored soft cheese together.
- Place a piece of aluminum foil under your napkin or paper towel in a woven bread basket to keep the bread or rolls warm longer and protect the bread basket from stains.
- Place a damp paper towel over Hors doeuvres, meat or cheese platters to help retain the moistness and slow the drying out time.
- To remove a cork from inside an empty wine bottle, pour some ammonia into the bottle, set it in a well ventilated location. In a few days he cork will be disintegrated.
- Place a damp paper towel over Hors d'oeuvres, meat or cheese platters to help retain the moistness and slow the drying time.
- When decorating any special meal or baking item that has a specific design, use a cookie cutter to help arrange the fruit so the design has a truly professional look to it.
You may also find of interest...
- The Cream Pie (Company-worthy pies!)
- Achieve Coffee Perfection!
- Reducing Fat and Sugar in Your Holiday Baking
- Low-Fat Techniques for Easter and Passover Cooking
Disclaimer: The material on this Web site is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or fitness professional. Please consult with your physician before beginning any fitness program or fat or weight reduction program. FitnessandFreebies.com takes no responsibility for individual results, or any claim made by a third party.