Do's and Don'ts for your walks...
Do ... See a doctor. Talk to your doctor before beginning an exercise program and get a full physical. Let the doctor choose an exercise program that is right for you.
Do ... Drink water. Extremely important on hot and humid days, drink before, during and after your workout.p
- Do ... Eat well. Avoid junk food and all products with high fat and cholesterol. Eat three moderately sized meals a day.
- Do ... Choose a smooth level surface. This will result in less fatigue and fewer injuries.
Please Do Not...
- Do not ... Continue walking if you have chest pains, are overly tired, dizzy, feel pain or experience shortness of breath or cannot hold a conversation with someone. Stop walking and immediately see a doctor.
- Do not ... Walk right after or before meals. Walking two hours after a meal and waiting 20 minutes after your walk to eat should be sufficient.
- Do not ... Walk outdoors if it is extremely cold, hot or humid. Try an inside track or mall instead.
- Do not ... Walk on ice or walk during a lightening storm. Head for cover (but not under a tree).