Walking Do's and Do Not's
- Do ... See a doctor. Talk to your doctor before beginning an exercise program and get a full physical. Let the doctor choose an exercise program that is right for you.
- Do ... Drink water. Extremely important on hot and humid days, drink before, during and after your workout.
- Do ... Eat well. Avoid junk food and all products with high fat and cholesterol. Eat three moderately sized meals a day.
- Do ... Choose a smooth level surface. This will result in less fatigue and fewer injuries.
Please Do Not...
- Do not ... Continue walking if you have chest pains, are overly tired, dizzy, feel pain or experience shortness of breath or cannot hold a conversation with someone. Stop walking and immediately see a doctor.
- Do not ... Walk right after or before meals. Walking two hours after a meal and waiting 20 minutes after your walk to eat should be sufficient.
- Do not ... Walk outdoors if it is extremely cold, hot or humid. Try an inside track or mall instead.
- Do not ... Walk on ice or walk during a lightening storm. Head for cover (but not under a tree).