Remember ... Walking is:
- An Activity You Do Every Day
- The Number One Activity Everywhere!
Shoes Make the Walker
Shoes are the single most important piece of equipment for the walker.
Shoes can be the difference between having a fun, relaxing walk and an uncomfortable, painful one.
It is important to get a good pair of walking shoes with the following characteristics:
- Provide both support and comfort to all parts of the foot.
- Have enough toe room so that you can wiggle your toes.
- Have firm support at the heel.
- Have a flexible cushioned sole in order to aid in the walking gait and to absorb shock.
- Be made of breathable material, preferably leather, or fabric to allow perspiration to dissipate.
- Be lightweight.
While there are many shoes at various price ranges designed specifically for walking, a running shoe or tennis shoe will also serve the purpose so long as it is comfortable and has the above characteristics.
While there is no need to spend a lot of money on walking gear, there are a number of items that will make your walk easier, safer and more fun.
A pedometer is the perfect way to enhance your walking. First of all, it is fun to know how many steps you have taken, how far you have walked, or how long you have been walking. Secondly, a pedometer allows you to keep track of your progress against the goals you have set for yourself. A pedometer will also show you the steps taken or distance traveled over one or several walks.
Reflective products and lights
If you are walking in the morning, early evening or night, reflective products are a must. Your gear can include a reflective vest and reflective bands. A flashlight or strobe light also will help you to be seen at night.