The purpose of the hamstring stretch is to stretch tight hamstrings as well as the lower back and calf muscles. Tight hamstrings can cause back pain. Runners often get tight in this area. as do those who must sit too much.
Hamstring stretches are also a great stress reducer!
Hamstring palm touch. Stand with your knees slightly bent. Then, bend from the waist and try to touch your palms to the floor. If you can't reach all the way to the floor, just go as far as you can.
Count to 10 or 20, then rest. Repeat.
Note: If you have lower back problems, do this stretch with your legs crossed.
Hamstring Stretches With Toe Touch
- Place your right leg level with your hip on a stair, chair, or other steady object.
- With your other leg slightly bent, lean forward and slowly try to touch your right toe with your right hand. Hold and count to 10 or 20.
- Repeat with your left hand. Then switch legs and repeat with each hand.
- Rest. Repeat the entire stretch.
Note: If you can't reach your toes, no worries. Just go as far as is comfortable for you and hold. Eventually you'll get there! If you never do, that's okay, too. Just keep those muscles stretched and flexible.
You may also find of interest...
- Stability Ball Wall Squat Exercise
- Dead Lift Exercise
- Three Essential Toning Exercises
- Muscle Tension Release, Energy Level Increase
Disclaimer: The material on this Web site is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or fitness professional. Please consult with your physician before beginning any fitness program or fat or weight reduction program. FitnessandFreebies.com takes no responsibility for individual results, or any claim made by a third party.