Juicy Turkey Burger Recipe
Diabetic Friendly Recipe
A juicy turkey burger made with ground turkey and red onion, spicy mustard, fresh ground pepper and dried dill. Cook on a grill or in a skillet.
2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
3 ounces ground turkey
1 teaspoon spicy mustard
Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
Spray grill pan with cooking spray and saute onions to soften. Mix remaining ingredients in bowl. Add onion. Shape into patty.
Cook on medium high grill or skillet for about 19 minutes.
Ground Turkey Safety Suggestions
Common mistakes while handling or cooking ground turkey can put you at risk of illness. Although most bacteria are killed by thorough cooking, they can produce toxins that may not be destroyed by heat. Take the following precautions.
- Buy turkey labeled 'organic' or 'no antibiotics,' especially if it also has a 'USDA Process Verified' label, which means that the USDA has confirmed that the producer is doing what it says.
- Consider other labels, such as animal welfare approved and certified humane, which mean that antibiotics were restricted to sick animals.
- Natural meat is minimally processed, with no artificial ingredients or added color. However, it can come from an animal that ate antibiotics daily.
- Know that no type of meat - turkey, chicken, beef, or pork - is risk free.
- Buy meat just before checking out, and place it in a plastic bag to prevent leaks.
- If you will cook meat within a couple of days, store it at 40 degrees or below. Otherwise, freeze it.
- Cook ground turkey to at least 165 degrees. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature.
- Wash hands and all surfaces after handling ground turkey.
- Do not return cooked meat to the plate that held it raw.
Nutrition information per serving:
Recipe makes 1 serving