Diabetes: Head to Toe Care
Timeless Fitness Tip
Diabetes can lead to vision loss or even blindness.
Take Care of Your Eyes
- Keep your blood sugar under control.
- Bring high blood pressure down.
- Get a dilated eye exam by an eye doctor every year.
See an eye doctor if:
- Your vision is blurry.
- You see double, spots or floaters.
- One or both eyes hurt
- You feel pressure in your eye.
- You cannot see things at the sides like you used to.
- You have trouble reading.
Have a Healthy Heart
People with diabetes are twice as likely to develop high blood pressure than those who do not have diabetes.
- Lose weight if you are overweight.
- Become more physically active.
- Have your blood pressure checked at each doctor visit.
- Ask your doctor what your blood pressure goal should be. A blood pressure level under 130/85mm Hg is the goal for most people.
- Don't smoke.
Diabetes can harm the blood vessels and nerves in your feet. To keep your feet healthy:
- Keep your blood sugar in control.
- Take off your shoes and socks and have your feet checked at least once a year - more often if you have any foot problems.
- Wash your feet every day. Dry them, even between toes.
- Check daily for cuts, blisters, redness and swelling. If you cannot see the bottom of your feet, use a mirror or ask someone for help.
- Never walk barefoot.
- Wear shoes that fit well. If you have lost feeling in your feet, ask your health care provider for advice on proper shoes.
- Cut your toenails straight across and file the edges.
- Shake out your shoes before putting them on.
You may also find of interest...
- 90 Quick Tips for Diabetics
- Taking Control of Diabetes
- Diabetes: Assess Your Risk
- Blood Pressure and Kidney Disease
Disclaimer: The material on this Web site is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or fitness professional. Please consult with your physician before beginning any fitness program or fat or weight reduction program. FitnessandFreebies.com takes no responsibility for individual results, or any claim made by a third party.