Home Made Christmas Gift Box Recipe
Make a very pretty Christmas gift box out of cookie like ingredients! Use the included Royal Frosting recipe for all the finishing touches. Decorate as desired.
1-1/2 cups butter or margarine, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2/3 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2-3/4 cups all purpose flour
Royal Icing (recipe follows)
Blend all ingredients except flour with an electric mixer until light and well blended.Â Stir in flour just until blended.
Press dough evenly into a 15-by-9-inch pan.Â Cover and refrigerate one hour.
Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into four 5 byÂ 5-inch squares (top, bottom and sides) and two 4-inch by 5-inch rectangles (two sides).Â Prick the dough with a fork.
Bake at 300-degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until pale golden all over and slightly darker at the edges.
Cool slightly, then retrace cuts with a knife.Â Cool completely.
Assemble box using colored Royal Icing (if desired) as glue to hold pieces together.Â Decorate with pastry bag and tip, using assorted sprinkles, if desired.Â Allow to dry before using.
1/3 cup egg whites
6 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Blend all ingredients together to make a stiff, but spreadable icing, adding a little water or powdered sugar as necessary.Â Tint with food coloring if desired.
Recipe makes one Home Made Christmas Gift Box.
Decorating Tips for Your Home Made Christmas Gift Box
- Ice the boxes with your favorite frosting.
- Add delicious decorations; nonpareils, almonds slivers, jelly beans, colored candies, gold/silver confection balls and edible glitter work great!
- Use satin ribbon, fruit roll-ups, or Royal Icing to make a bow for a nice finishing touch.
- Satin Ribbon: Using a pastry bag and #103 wide tip faced down, squeeze out Royal Icing.Â Cut out in 3-inch long sections, loop and let dry.Â Arrange on box.
Creative Uses for Your Home Made Christmas Gift Box
- Secret Santa, thank you and hostess gifts
- Unique containers for candy and other fun treasures
- Great party favors and personalized place cards
- Different size and shapes make colorful table decorations and centerpieces