Fireside Cinnamon Chocolate Coffee
If you live in a cold winter climate, give this warming, comforting hot coffee beverage a try. It is wonderful to sip on for a pick-me-up.
No Worries. Caffeine is Safe!
Back in 1958, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration classified caffeine as Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS). In 1987, the FDA reaffirmed its position that moderate caffeine intake produced no increased risk to health. Both the American Medical Association and the American Cancer Society have put out statements confirming the safety of moderate caffeine consumption.
If you need to avoid caffeine for health reasons, or because you are sensitive to it, use your favorite decaf coffee.
How About the Chocolate?
Not only is chocolate considered an herb, it contains many health benefits. Read The Nutrients in Chocolate for more information on this amazing, appealing food.
Combine these two favorites, add a little spice and you’ve got a warming cinnamon chocolate coffee treat.
Fireside Cinnamon Chocolate Coffee Recipe
2 cups brewed strong hot coffee
1/4 cup chocolate syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup Half and Half
Aerosol Whipped Light Cream
Chocolate shavings, if desired
Pour coffee into 1-quart saucepan. Stir in chocolate syrup, vanilla and cinnamon. Add half and half. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through (3 to 4 minutes).
To serve, pour into individual coffee mugs. Garnish each serving with whipped cream and sprinkle with chocolate shavings, if desired.
Cinnamon Chocolate Coffee Notes:
- If desired, add a dash or two of ground red pepper for a little extra heat.
- Instant coffee is not recommended; however, if in a pinch, it will do. The flavor won’t be quite as good, though.
- Use Organic Ground Cinnamon to reap the most benefits from cinnamon, which also contains many healthful properties.
- A 4 Inch Cinnamon Stick is a nice garnishment in addition to the chocolate shavings.
- Cut fat dramatically by using Land O’ Lakes Fat Free Half and Half.