A Super Healthy Corn Salad
By super healthy we mean super healthy vegetables – some of the best of the best veggies fill this salad! Canned or fresh, corn is always good for you. To be super healthy andÂ cost effective, learn how to Home Made Whole Kernel Corn!
The Healthy Ingredients
- Corn. Since fresh sweet corn consists primarily of simple and complex carbohydrates, it’s a superb low-in-fat energy source.
- Tomatoes. Contain lycopene – a phytochemical that acts as a powerful antioxidant.
- Green Pepper. Peppers are full of vitamins C and A, as well as folate. One-half cup of chopped fresh bell pepper has only 15 calories.
- Celery. Celery is an excellent source of potassium and antioxidant Vitamin C and dietary fiber.
- Onions. Provide fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, and other nutrients. Only 30 calories per 1/2-cup serving.
Super Healthy Corn Salad Recipe
2 cups fresh or frozen whole kernel corn – cooked and drained
3/4 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup fat-free ranch dressing
In bowl, combine vegetables.
Stir in dressing. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yield: 6 servings.
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe.
Nutrition information per serving:
- Calories 80
- Total fat 0.5 grams
- Saturated fat 0 grams
- Cholesterol 0 milligrams
- Sodium 130 milligrams
- Protein: 2 grams
Tip for BuyingÂ The Best Corn
Buy your corn vacuum packed. While canned corn can be almost as nutritious as fresh, it loses some of its value when it’s packed in brine, which leaches nutrients. To get the most vitamins, look for vacuum-packed corn, which does not contain brine. Corn that is vacuum packed (it will say so on the label) usually comes in short, squat cans. Or choose frozen corn instead. Studies at the FDA showed that frozen corn is just as nutritious as fresh.