Easy Steps to Less Stress
For many, the stress of living in today’s hectic, fast-paced, over-regulated lifestyles are wreaking havoc on our nervous systems. Following are six easy steps you can follow to attempt to calm things down; however, if you are suffering severe stress symptoms, a visit to your doctor may not be a bad idea.
6 Steps to Less Stress
- Take 10 to sit quietly and/or meditate
- Tune out distractions – turn off TV, radio, computer
- Take a leisurely walk
- Write out your problems and/or feelings
- Try an over-the-counter remedy for stress relief such as melatonin
- Customize your work space as in de-clutter and add a favorite picture
A Sad Approach
Surfing through my twitter stream, I see the following (name left out because I don’t wish to pick on any one person) tweet:
That is the WORST idea to less stress and a very sad mentality. Especially with a child – and especially on YouTube where the unsavory lurk in many corners. More so, you don’t want to encourage more sitting around mindlessly staring at some silly video. If you must sit, doing an activity that makes a child think and learn is far healthier and far more productive.
What to do instead?
- Going for a walk with your child?
- Playing ball?
- Going to the local playground?
- Shoot baskets?
- Get a book on simple astronomy and find constellations in the stars
- Snowy? Make a snowman, go sledding or ice skating
- Hot? Go to the beach and make a sandcastle. Or play at a water park if you have one nearby. Otherwise there’s always the good ‘ol yard hose and sprinklers.
- Too cold outside? Do some housework together – there’s always something that need cleaning up or clearing out.
Just a few ideas – use your imagination and you’ll come up with more, to be sure.
There is a whole world of wonders away from today’s many screens and violent gamesÂ – find some of them.