Add a new or different flavor boost to some of the most common sandwich combinations with the following suggestions.
1. Grilled cheese and apple: Grill red and green apple slices with cheese slices on cinnamon-raisin bread.
2. Mexican: Layer Salsa, turkey cold cuts and four-cheese Mexican style shredded cheese between bread slices. Toast lightly.
3. Basil and Mozzarella: Stack basil pesto sauce or Italian dressing, fresh basil or spinach leaves, mozzarella cheese slices and sliced tomatoes on crusty Italian bread.
4. Ham and Cheese: Top American cheese slices and ham with creamy coleslaw on dark rye bread.
5. California Club: Spread mayonnaise on sourdough bread. Top with thin tomato slices turkey, bacon and avocado slices.
6. Cream cheese and jam: Spread cream cheese and apricot preserves on wheat bread.
7. Chicken Caesar salad sandwich: Toss chopped romaine, shredded Parmesan cheese and Caesar Italian dressing. Layer with grilled chicken breast strips on French bread.
8. Peanut Butter and Banana: Spread peanut butter on bread. Top with sliced bananas and strawberry jam.
9. Beef and Cheddar: Top sliced red onions with roast beef slices and Cheez-Whiz cheese dip on dark rye bread.
10. Tuna Salad sandwiches: Mix tuna with mayonnaise and shredded carrot. Serve with cucumber slices on hearty whole-grain bread.
Fun Sandwich Fact
In 1765, John Montagu, the fourth Earl of Sandwich, invented the sandwich. The Earl loved roast beef tucked between toast slices because he could eat and play cards at the same time.