Happy Holiday Healthy Scone Mix
Why holiday healthy scone mix? Because…
- The Oats. Oats have a high nutritional value. Oats are an excellent source of manganese and a very good source of selenium. In addition, oats are a good source of vitamin B1, dietary fiber, magnesium, protein and phosphorus and contain more soluble fiber than any other grain.
- The Pecans. Two studies on Pecans show that blood cholesterol levels are dramatically lowered when pecans are incorporated into the diet.
- The Chocolate. Packed with antioxidants! Read more: The Nutrients in Chocolate
Happy Holiday Healthy Scone MixÂ
Tender scones packed with tasty additions of chocolate chips, pecans and healthful oats.
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
Ingredients Needed to Complete Scones
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold butter, cut into 8 pieces
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg
To make healthy scone mix:
In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add oats, pecans and chocolate chips; mix well. Transfer to resealable plastic bag, an unbreakable decorative jar with lid or other airtight container. Store in cool dry place.
To prepare scones from healthy scone mix:
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat cookie sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- Place scone mix in large bowl. Cut in butter with two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl, beat together honey, milk and egg with wire whisk or fork. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir with fork just until dough starts to hold together. Transfer dough to floured surface; knead gently 8 to 10 times. Pat dough into 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Place wedges about 1 inch apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.
Variations: Omit chocolate chips; add 1/2 cup dried cranberries and 1/2 teaspoon dried orange peel to mix.
Healthy Scone Mix Yield: 8 scones