Smarter Snacks Cut Fat
Looking to cut some empty calories and unnecessary fat from your diet? Try these smarter snacks instead of high calorie, high fat foods for snacks.
- A handful of shelled peanuts. (Or maybe 2!).
- Oatmeal, shredded wheat or raisin bran cereal.
- Whole grain bagel or English muffin with peanut butter or
a slice of low fat cheese.
- Omelet filled with tomatoes, mushrooms and spinach (or any veggie) paired with toast.
- Vegetable, bean, split pea or lentil soup.
- Lean roast beef, ham or turkey sandwich. Pile high with veggies on whole grain bread. Add zing, but almost no calories, with horseradish or spicy mustard.
- Steamed veggies sprinkled with shredded cheese or sliced almonds.
- A salad bar creation of dark greens and other colorful veggies, avocado slices, sunflower
seeds and fruit. Top with low fat dressing.
- Fat-free or low fat regular or flavored milk or 100 percent orange juice.
Smarter Snacks from Vending Machines or Convenience Store
Here are some quick picks you can grab from a vending machine or convenience store that won’t bust your gut!
- Calcium-rich fat-free or low fat yogurt or yogurt drinks.
- Protein-packed beef jerky such as Simply Snackin ALL Natural Chicken Breast Jerky.
- Vegetable or tomato soup and whole grain crackers.
- Fresh vegetable salads with low-calorie dressing.
- Packages of baby carrots, broccoli florets or celery sticks.
- Mozzarella cheese sticks.
- Cereal bars or nutrition bars.
- Packets of nuts, sunflower seeds.
- Bags of baked chips or low fat popcorn.
- Fig bars and animal crackers.
- Fresh fruit, fruit salads or fruit cups.
- Fat free or low fat regular or flavored milks.
- 100 percent fruit or vegetable juices.
Smarter Snacks: Eat an Avocado at Lunch
Eat half an avocado at lunch! A study published in the Nutrition Journal found that adults who indulged in half of the buttery green fruit at lunch stayed satiated for up to 5 hours and their appetites decreased by as much as 40 percent, which meant less snacking when that mid afternoon slump hit.