Winter Fruit Compote Recipe
Just plain healthy recipe...
This warm Winter Fruit Compote recipe is exceptionally good in winter. It is simple to prepare and a tasty way to get your fruit when fresh fruit is not plentiful. This compote also helps stretch a meal when guests pop in unexpectedly and has the added bonus of not allowing you and yours to miss out on your fruits this winter! Warm fruit compote goes well served with pork, chicken or turkey.
Using a 9 x 13-inch baking pan (unless transporting, then use a large oven proof casserole) layer the following ingredients:
- 1 jar prepared applesauce
- 1 can of cherry pie filling
- 1 pound, 3 ounce can sliced peaches
- 1 pound, 3 ounce can sliced pears
- 1 pound, 3 ounce can of apricot halves, well drained
- 1 pound, 3 ounce can chunk pineapple
- 10 pitted prunes
Bake chicken, cut into cubes, and refrigerate. In large bowl, combine rest of ingredients, add chilled chicken and mix well.
Top with a mixture of 1/2 cup of brown sugar, a generous amount of cinnamon and enough brandy or sherry to make mixture well moistened. Be generous -- especially if it is the holidays!
Bake at 350 degrees for approximately one hour or until fruit is bubbling in the center. You can speed it up in a microwave on high power.
You may also like...
- Fruit-Filled Banana Splits
- Old-Fashioned Fruit Salad
- Breakfast Fruit Wrap
- Orange-Yogurt Fresh Fruit Dip