Pig Out Portions
Timeless Nutrition Tip
Many nutrition experts blame pig-out portions for our obesity epidemic. At least half of all Americans are overweight and at least 22-percent are obese.
Obesity is responsible for about 300,000 deaths a year, according to the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Did you know you get more than a day's calories in just one serving of some fast foods?
Portion Control Tips
- In restaurants, share entrees, or ask the waiter to put half the entree in a doggie bag before you even touch it.
- Order lunch-size portions. Many restaurants serve 4 to 6-ounces of meat at lunch, compared with 8 to 10-ounces at dinner.
- At home, use smaller plates and bowls. It will look as if you are eating more.
- Check food labels for serving size. Eat one serving only.
- Measure label servings to see their sizes. Examples: Two level tablespoons of peanut butter, 1/2-cup sherbet, etc.
- Buy smaller packages of candy, popcorn and snacks.